Causes of Residential Fire Damage
What Causes Residential Fire Damage
When it comes to disasters, there is probably none worse than a residential fire and fire damage in Berry Hill. Not only do the flames cause inherent danger as they destroy your family’s home, but there is also the effect afterward that debris, soot, smoke, and odor cause to your home and possessions, plus structural damage to the home itself. For most homeowners, a fire is an event that is unimaginable; however they happen for a variety of reasons. With this in mind, below is a look at the top ten fire causes:
1. Home heat fires – your furnace needs regular inspection and make sure combustibles are not near any portable heaters.
2. Cooking fires – unattended kitchens, splattering grease, and combustibles near the source of heat are very common fire starters.
3. Smoking – always ensure that you extinguish the cigarette if you smoke in your house.
4. Electrical fires – look out for frayed cords, overloaded plug outlets and overuse of extension cords.
5. Children – keep lighters and matches away from children to stifle any curiosity they could have about what happens when various items burn.
6. Candles – candles could smell nice, however if left unattended, they could lead to a major issue.
7. Flammable items – do not keep adhesives, paint or cleaning agents close to sources of heat.
8. Faulty wiring – a significant safety hazard is inadequate wiring, which is many times prevalent in older apartments and homes
9. Grills – do not ever cook on the grill under an awning or on a porch. Give yourself a lot of space away from your home.
10. Holiday décor – be aware of how close your Christmas tree is to your fireplace, and always make sure that you are hanging other décor safely.
An inevitable occurrence, when a fire does happen, you will want to be able to call on someone who can repair any of your structural damage, plus get rid of any soot coatings, smoke damage stains, and odors to get your property back to its condition pre-loss. At SERVPRO, we can do all of this for you. We can be at your home quickly to mitigate the damages, make sure to secure your property and start emergency cleaning to items that are a priority. While we are on the site, your property will be inspected, assessments for damage written, and preliminary estimates made to give you a restoration plan that is comprehensive. This could include getting odor and smoke removal, structural cleaning, deodorizing, content restoration and structural repair.
Fire damage in Berry Hill can catch you off guard, and when it does you will want to contact SERVPRO of South Nashville by dialing (615) 331-0200 right away. We can then come and assess your damages and start getting your home cleaned up and restored.