If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (615) 331-0200

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Oak Hill Electrical Fire Safety Tips

6/18/2015 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Oak Hill Electrical Fire Safety Tips One of the most common causes of fire in American homes is faulty electrical wiring and electrical malfunctions.

Electrical Fire Safety Tips

One of the most common causes of fire in American homes is faulty electrical wiring and electrical malfunctions. In fact, electrical malfunctions are responsible for nearly 15 percent of all house fires across the nation and lead to thousands of dollars in losses for homeowners and businesses alike. Unlike flooding, hurricanes or tornadoes, the risk of an electrical fire can be reduced and even prevented in some cases. Read on to learn how you can help preserve the integrity of your home or business with some simple electrical Oak Hill fire prevention tips.

Electrical Fire Facts and Figures

More than 25,000 electrical fires are reported in the United States each year and result in the injuries or deaths of approximately 1,500 Americans. These figures are proof that electrical safety cannot be overstated. Because electrical fires often cause more property damage than their non-electrical counterparts, they tend to be more costly than other types of Oak Hill fires.

Don’t Overload Electrical Outlets

The simplest method of avoiding the Oak Hill electrical fire hazard is to avoid the overloading of electrical sockets. Socket overload occurs when a person plugs too many cords into a single outlet, power strip or extension cord. A classic example is the full power strip attached to an extension cord and plugged into a single outlet.

To help avoid a Oak Hill fire from electrical outlet overload, be sure to purchase power strips that feature built-in overload protection. Overload protection will automatically shut the power strip down in the event of an overload to help prevent an electrical fire.

Don’t Use Damaged Plugs or Cords

Regularly inspect the cords to your appliances and electronics to avoid the hazard of frayed and damaged electrical cords. You may want to schedule a quarterly inspection of your home or business to locate any exposed wire or damaged connectors.

Hire a Home Inspector

If you live in an older home, you are likely to have outdated wiring systems. Even if your home is relatively new, you may still be able to benefit from a home inspector’s services, as electrical contractors have been known to cut corners or perform shoddy work. The cost of a home inspection is far less expensive than the cost generated by an electrical fire. As with any contractor, be sure that the home inspector is qualified to perform the job before granting permission to work on your property.

 

Locally Owned Company with National Resources

As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of South Nashville is strategically located to respond quickly to your smoke or fire damage event. When a major fire or disaster event occurs, we can call upon our national network of 1,650 SERVPRO Franchises and special Disaster Recovery Teams if we need additional resources or personnel.

We are proud to serve our local communities:

We are here in Nashville and are ready to help you. Just call us. (615) 331-0200

Other News

View Recent Posts