If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (615) 331-0200

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Eliminating Mold Damage in South Nashville Homes

5/1/2018 (Permalink)

Mold occurs when moisture is present in your home, this can be caused by a small plumbing leak or flooding.

SERVPRO is Here to Help Remediate Mold Damage in Your Home

Many South Nashville residents somehow think mold is their fault, either through neglect or poor housekeeping. The reality is that mold spores are present in every home, regardless of how much bleach the owner uses. These spores are also no more harmful than common house dust until the right circumstances and requirements are met.

Mold damage to South Nashville homes can only happen when there is enough moisture present in the right temperature range to activate these tiny spores which begin feeding on a nearby food source. Stopping further growth requires understanding how mold grows and finding the best way to interrupt it and prevent growth in the future immediately. At SERVPRO, our response teams train to do just that.

Inert and active mold spores cluster together. Each spore is smaller than the width of a human hair, and a cluster of thousands is still so small it can fit on the head of a thumbtack. They remain this small, and inert until they absorb enough moisture from a small pool of rainwater or an even smaller plumbing leak. With only a tiny amount of water, the spores extend hyphae which grow over and into food sources like drywall, wood framing, and even roof tiles.

That is why our teams ask two questions of every homeowner: Where is the mold and Have you had a leak of any type recently? The answers tell our technicians where to look for mold and the source of the moisture that triggered the spores to begin growing.

It applies to storm flooding, recent fires, and broken plumbing. In each instance, an unusual amount of water, large or small, has entered the home. SERVPRO knows the type is important because flooding and the fire department can soak carpets and floors while broken plumbing might be a split pipe or water hose in the garage or laundry room.

Flood water can also drain through the floor, or down the stairs, into the basement. Since this part of the home is not usually part of daily life, mold can grow here longer than in a bathroom or elsewhere before someone notices it. Our teams need to eliminate this, and every source of moisture, regardless of where it might be. If they do not, then the owner soon has a recurring problem.

If you are dealing with water now, or a mold problem caused by the previous flooding, call SERVPRO of South Nashville at (615) 331-0200 today. We are here to help you and your home.

Click here for more on South Nashville.

Other News

View Recent Posts