Simple Tips For Preventing Residential Water Damage in Nashville
By Jamie Shelley
1 Oct. 2014 8:45 AM Eatern
Damage that occurs to your home from floods and leaky pipes can leave you with a mound of bills and a lot of heartaches. While you lack the superpower of preventing a natural disaster in Nashville, you have the ability to arm your property against water damage in Nashville. Here are natural ways to keep your real estate safe from the harmful effects of water leaks both inside and outside the home.
Preventing storm water damage starts on the outside. It’s imperative that rainwater be quickly routed away from your home by implementing the steps below. They will prevent most threats to your foundation in Brentwood and guard against the growth of mold and mildew.
1. Clean gutters so that they are completely free of debris and leaves, and ensure downspouts empty at least ten feet away from your property.
2. Keep trees trimmed in Lebanon and make sure there aren’t any limbs dangling in proximity to your Madison Tennessee home. Trimmed trees will prevent damage to the gutters and roof that can ultimately cause water leaks. Additionally, clear away any ivy that is creeping up the side of your home. Their roots can grow into weakened surfaces and allow water to seep into cracks.
3. Make sure you have flashing placed around the doors and windows to your Nashville home. These are thin metal strips that prevent water from leaking inside when it rains.
4. If you have a sump pump, it needs to be inspected and regularly cleaned. A sump pump that doesn’t work properly can cause a backup of water, pumping water into your home instead of away from it. Check the owner’s manual for instructions or contact the manufacturer for assistance.
Preventing water damage from leaky pipes is just as important as fortifying your property against natural disasters. Water damage is water damage, after all, no matter the source. To protect your home, be sure to follow the rules that are below.
1. Toilets tend to be the number-one culprit when it comes to water damage that manifests inside the home. They can also be the most difficult to spot if the leak is silent. Any unusual sounds must be addressed immediately. If you suspect a leak, place a few drops of food coloring in the upper tank. If the color has leaked to the toilet bowl within 20 minutes, you’ll need to replace one of the tank valves.
2. Routine inspections of hidden pipes are a good idea. Once a month, look under the sinks and check your water heater for signs of dripping or leaks. Always be sure to keep your water heater clear of objects so that any leaks that are present are not obstructed from view.
3. Consider installing a water leak detection system to alert you of any threats to your Brentwood home. Some emit a sound or display flashing lights if a leak is discovered while others have a shut-off valve to stop the leak immediately. These can be a real money saver for the homeowner who wants maximum protection.
4. Always be sure that water pipes that are exposed to the elements are well insulated. This will protect them from bursting in freezing temperatures, leading to water flooding in and around your home.
SERVPRO of South Nashville is a 24/7 emergency water removal & flood clean up repair service company, Our technicians are highly trained and experienced with every water damage situation from sewage damage clean up, mold removal, smoke damage repair, fire damage repair, flooded basement, wet carpet, wet walls, carpet water damage, basement water damage, flooded crawl space, sewer backup, sewage removal, mud removal, commercial water damage, restoration, house water damage, building water damage, hotel water damage, flooded building, crawl space water damage, crawl space sewage damage, pump out, dry out, flood water removal, commercial building water removal, building flood damage, hardwood floor water damage, wet hardwood floors, wet carpet drying, sewage restoration, flood cleanup, busted pipe water damage, broken pipe water damage, busted sprinkler water damage, frozen pipe water damage, flood pump out, basement pump out, restoration equipment rental, dehumidifier rental, fan rental, demolition, painting & construction.
SERVPRO of South Nashville proudly serves Nashville, Brentwood, Berry Hill, Oak Hill, Forest Hills, Mt. Juliet, Old Hickory, Goodlettsville, Inglewood, Gladeville, Hendersonville, White House, Gallatin, Watertown, and surrounding areas. We are available 24 hours/7 days a week and are ready to restore damage to your home or commercial structure caused by: