SERVPRO of South Nashville : Electrical Fire Hazards and How to Prevent
Electrical fire hazards and how to prevent
South Nashville (www.SERVPROsouthnashville.com)
Electrical fires are known to be widespread throughout the U.S., causing injury, claiming lives, and resulting in large losses of property. This makes it incredibly important to know how to use your electrical appliances safely to deter a fire from occurring in the future. Learn more to understand the causes of electrical fires and what steps you can take to be safe around your electrical components in the future.
Causes of Electrical Fires
Most electrical fires result from problems with faulty electrical outlets and old wiring. Problems with extension/appliance cords and plugs also cause many home electrical fires. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA):
- Lamps, light fixtures and light bulbs (28%) and fixed wiring (22%) account for the largest share of fires among major types of electrical distribution equipment.
- Cords and plugs (39%) account for the largest share of civilian deaths.
- Lamps, light fixtures, and light bulbs (30%) account for the largest share of civilian injuries.
Safety Precautions to Take Around Electrical Components
To help prevent an electrical fire in your home, routinely check electrical appliances and wiring. Following these key tips will also ensure that you keep your home safe from an electrical fire:
- Replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.
- Avoid running extension cords across doorways or under carpets.
- Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have
- to use extension cords.
Restoring Homes Following Electrical Fire Damage
When your home gets struck by an electrical fire, not any restoration service will do to handle the cleanup after the fallout. It takes a specialized team of trained professionals like the ones at SERVPRO South Nashville to treat you with respect and empathy while always treating your home and belongings with great care. If you’re in need of our fire damage restoration solutions to help your property get back to normal following an electrical fire, call us today at (615) 331-0200 for a consultation!